Thursday, August 28, 2008

The street where I live, Hag Central

When I first moved to The Land Of The Smiling Mule I wrote about the hags who congregate at the top of the street. At any given time there'll be four or five of them hanging out and cackling at the passing cars. I hate walking past them. Driving past is fine, they just shout "adios" as I pass and then I'm gone before I can hear what else they say. (Note: It's a bit confusing at first when you pass people on the street and they say "goodbye" instead of "hello". Basically it's used when there isn't time to go into a full sentence, i.e. "hello, can't stop I'm in a hurry, bye.") But when I'm walking I hear what they're saying as I approach and after I've passed. It usually goes something like this:

"...The bin men are late this morning. Terrible. I could complain. You should. I would but it's José, he likes his lunch on the table at two thirty. How's his leg? Wait, look, here comes the guiri again (that's me). What do you think's in that bag? Don't know, what do guiris carry in bags? Look at that shirt. Aww it's a shame. He needs a pullover. (As I pass) Hello, good morning. How are you? Not driving today? Yes, it's good to walk isn't it? That bag looks heavy. Yes, we're in a rush too. Bye then. Careful you don't slip on that...ooh, are you alright? Bye. There's nothing of him. If he fell he'd really hit the floor carrying a heavy bag like that. And spoil that shirt. Where on earth did he buy that? Not round here, that's for sure..."

You'd think after almost five years I'd be used to it, or join them, but I just feel really intimidated by them. In the beginning I assumed they thought I didn't understand what they were saying, but that can't be the case because I speak to them in Spanish. Maybe they think I'm deaf.

4 comments:

Cherry Jeffs said...

Don't assume that just because you speak to them in Spanish they have assimilated the fact that you do UNDERSTAND Spanish ;-)

torrygirl said...

Maybe they think they're in a magical cone of silence and you can only hear them when you're within 5 paces.

So tell me - what do guiris carry in bags?

Anonymous said...

Reply to Torrygirl:
Ready?
A hairdryer, straighteners, clippers, roll-bag full of combs and scissors, mirror, towels, gowns, eight brushes, shampoo, conditioner, smoothing lotion, serum, wax, gel, gum, mud, hairspray, gloss spray, appointment book, phone and a packet of cigarettes.

torrygirl said...

Oh, so just the usual stuff then...
:P