Sunday, August 31, 2008

Introducing Jaime La Campana

The Land Of The Smiling Mule town hall has a clock tower, and as the crow flies it's only a few hundred metres from where I live. The clock chimes once for the half hour, and on the hour it chimes the relevant number of times, twice. In other words, at say eleven o'clock, it will chime eleven times and two minutes later it chimes eleven again. I've never understood why it chimes twice but I like it, even when the windows are open and it sounds really loud. As if that wasn't enough the chimes are interspersed by the voice of Jaime La Campana, who shouts "DOH" after every gong.
Jaime lives with his mother at the top of the street, near the hags. He's difficult to put an age to, but I imagine he's in his early thirties. His mother dresses him in over sized track pants which are pulled up to his chest, into which he tucks his jumper. I see him most mornings going down the hill with his mother to the shops, and later he (literally) pulls her back up the hill. He's a shy man, if I say hello he turns away with a huge smile on his face, but once I've walked on a couple of paces he turns back and shoots me with his ray gun. But Jaime was blessed with a booming voice. So going back to the example of eleven o'clock; Imagine twenty two loud gongs and twenty two very loud "DOH"s ... nuff said.

No comments: