Friday, August 15, 2008

Making up my mind

Browsing through the Men section of The Times I was intrigued by an article which stated a well known drugstore in UK has just launched a line of make-up for men. OOPS, there's mistake number one. It's not make-up, it's guyliner and manscara. I guess calling it make-up demasculates it, but what do I know? The article went on to say that this new make-up is a huge success with metrosexual men across the country and when applied properly was subtle and needn't make the wearer look like an Emo. Being on the furthest edge of popular culture here in the Land Of The Smiling Mule I had a vague idea what a metrosexual man was but decided to do a quick google search just to be on the safe side. Amazingly, a metrosexual man is heterosexual but takes an interest in his appearance and "demonstrates other homosexual characteristics". I chose to gloss (see what I did there?) over that remark and keep focused. I still needed to know what an Emo was and why metrosexual make-up wearing men wouldn't want to look like one. Back to google. Depending on the website, Emo is either short for "emotional" or "def not coz that sux and anyway itz sooo lame". So that clears that up. However, I did learn that Emo's wear lots of black make-up, look a lot like punks and clearly do not take an interest in their appearance (sorry Emo's), which obviously makes them def not gay.

It was an interesting dip into popular culture, short as it was, and I came out the other end a bit wiser. I can hold my head high and proclaim I am not metrosexual. If men want to wear make-up, wear it. Don't buy guyliner which no doubt will be merchandised in a very macho way and probably cost twice the price. Wake up, you're being had. As for the Emo's, enjoy every minute of it, I know I would have done all those years ago if my mum had allowed me to be a punk.

No comments: