Monday, September 8, 2008

Health and safety in the workplace

They started drilling at about eight thirty this morning. Pneumatic drills never really do it for me, and especially when I'm half asleep. The windows rattled, the cats got under the bed and I got very bored with it very quickly.
Mid morning I had to go out. As I got closer to the noise I realised they'd dug a big rectangular hole in the middle of the street, well, I say "they" but in fact I should say "he". There was one man, waist deep in a hole in the middle of the street. Around him stood three men in suits, complete with hard hats, protective goggles and ear protectors. They all stood around watching the man in the hole sweat. I walked closer and looked in the hole, the suits shuffled their feet and put their arms out as if to stop me jumping in or to demonstrate getting any closer was dangerous. What I saw was a man with a pneumatic drill, waist deep in a hole and wearing a vest, shorts and slippers. ¡QuĂ© Andalu!

3 comments:

torrygirl said...

Hmm, someone should let them know that it's a lot cheaper to use witches hats than to use business men. They're easier to spot from a distance too.

Andaloo said...

Oh THAT'S what they're for! Sort of executive skittles but with cars.

Anonymous said...

In what part of his body was he wearing the slippers?