Friday, September 12, 2008

Farewell trusty old friend

I just know that one day soon I'm going to open my computer and it's going to go phutt. I don't blame it, it's really tired now and more than ready to go to wherever it is that computers go to die. I've been wondering for a while whether to go for a Mac next or stick with what I know. At home we often move things across from one computer to another, which presumably we won't be able to do if one's running on a Mac O.S. and the other on Windows? Every Mac user I've spoken to raves over their baby, but many years ago it seemed everybody was raving over their Citroen 2CV's (click here if you don't know what I'm talking about), so we bought one. We had it a week before taking it back to Citroen and pleaded with them to exchange it for a proper car. Hold on, did I just compare Mac computers to 2CV's? Nawww surely not.
Anyway, I'm busy trying to back up all the crap trasures off my computer incase it gives up before I get a new one, and it's made me realise I'm a) a hoarder, and b) a filing slut. I've tried, honest I have, to take out the trash as my laptop's memory started to diminish but the problem is you can't see it. Unlike physical rubbish the treasures crap I've got stored on my computer is out of sight and out of mind. So the big question is what goes and what stays? Do I really need three "teach yourself how to type" courses? Well, yes, frankly I do. The first one I installed is in Spanish because I use a Spanish keyboard, but I got bored with all the accénts so installed an English one, which was pointless because the keys were all in the wrong places, then there's the American one. Obviously this one is as pointless as the English one but the cheesy voiceover makes me howl and takes away the boredom. No, they have to stay.

Reading through what I've just written I've realised a lot of the stuff I'm planning to clog up my new computer with won't transfer if it's a Mac. Bugger.

2 comments:

Gazpachomonk said...

yes it will silly.....where have you been living for the last siglo? Macs can run windows as well as OSX side by side now......
I still reckon one less typing tutor would be a good thang whatever u get

Andaloo said...

You see, I told you The Smiling Mule was in another time/space continuum. No, I didn't realise that...interesting.